Wednesday 14 July 2010

Adventures in Netbook Land (3) – Bye bye XP

In my previous post Adventure in Netbook Land (1) and (2), I described my struggle to satisfactorily set up my Aspire One netbook for work and leisure. First it used the 'built-in' Linpus OS which I quickly discarded, and then installed Windows XP, which didn't go as smoothly as planed.


With a hard drive with barely 8 GB of space, one will run very quickly into trouble. I did.

Once more, I went through different steps to reduce the disk space usage, but I finally conceded that I needed to increase it. The most obvious thing would be to move all the personal documents/photos/music/videos to another drive, and reassign My Documents to the new drive. Fair enough. The only qualm I have with that, in my setting, is that there is a whole load of stuff hidden in my profile that is stored by Chrome, Firefox, and other programs, which is taking a lot of space.

The best solution I thought of was to actually move Users and Documents to another drive. It's not easy to do, as there's a lot involved within the OS, but it works. My second drive is a 8GB SD card inserted in the Storage Expansion slot.

On restart, I was very happy to see that my main hard disk had now ample space, and so had my second drive.

Yes, but.

Flashfire only seems to work on the main drive, and now a lot of the temporary stuff applications write to being on my second drive. And soon, performance degraded enough for me to decide to do away with Windows XP.

Some might say that by simply upgrading my RAM to 1GB and changing my SSD to a small ipod HDD would cure all my woes, but would miss the point. I don't want to upgrade, and I don't want to fiddle with the hardware.


So, it was bye bye XP and welcome Ubuntu.

No comments: